Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Quotations

I've been collecting quotations since I was the mediator-speller at a spelling bee at Sangster Elementary school when I was in Gr. 7. I sat on the side with this massive, massive dictionary and I would be the deciding rule if there were any disagreements about spellings. Needless to say, these disagreements were few and far between, so I began to peruse this massive tome, only to find that there was a collection of quotations at the end. Part Webster's, part Bartlett's? I have no idea. But that's when I started to become fascinated with quotations.

By Gr. 10 I bought a note book to write them all down in. I now have three notebooks, all with Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" on the front, in slightly different designs. A few years ago I decided to type them all out as well into a Word document. It's about 150 pages long. I also created an alphabetical version of the quotes. I guess this makes me a humongous dork, but whatevs. I like me the quotes, and sometimes they were what I needed to get through some crappy times. Goethe was one of my favorites as a kid, and I had to be corrected by my mom that it wasn't "Go-eth" but "Gout-uh". I'd spell it out with the correct IPA but damned if I can remember the IPA anymore.


Life's a jest and all things show it,
I thought so once, and now I know it.
- epitaph of John Gay

No comments: